Here’s the scenario, it’s Saturday and you’re bored. You don’t want to spend a boat load of money and you don’t want to wander too far from where you live. Well, I found myself in this situation yesterday, so my husband and I decided to just get in the car and take a drive.
We ended up finding a hidden gem just 30 minutes from our town. It was a nice outing so I thought I would share with you five tips on how to find fun and adventure in your own backyard.
I am not one to sit at home on the weekends very often. I am always up for finding new places to visit, to eat or just walk around. I’m sure you’re question is “how do you afford to always be travelling around?”. Well to be honest with you, most of my adventures are within a 2 hour radius from where I live.
This latest outing we found ourselves only 30 minutes away from home. It’s this cute little hometown cheese factory and store. It’s off of a fairly busy road, but when you sit at one of their picnic tables to have your lunch, surprisingly you can’t hear much traffic; it’s very peaceful.
Finding adventure doesn’t always mean zip lining or having to travel hours and hours to your destination. Adventure is all in the mind, carry it wherever you go, even if it’s just down the road.
Cute and homey, this place has specialty treats and they even offer a small lunch menu. We enjoyed the grilled ham and cheese with homemade tomato soup and had our own little picnic right on the property.
As we made our way out to the picnic area, we were pleasantly surprised that they had an area with goats and customers are able to hand feed them. Great for the kiddos or “kiddos at heart”.
They also make their own cheeses on the property and they have this neat little viewing window where you can see where the cheese sits to age. There is a small area in the back of the store where you can watch a video of how they make the cheese. Very interesting!
And what you’ve been waiting for……………..my five tips to finding and enjoying adventure in your own backyard:
- Before heading out, check your city and nearby towns’ website or just google “places to visit in Northern California”. You get the idea. You’ll be surprised at what you will find.
- Check out the map of the area and pick somewhere you’ve never been and a place you have never visited before. You never know, it could be the best hidden gem in the area.
- Try a new outdoor activity. Maybe you are used to just taking walks or hikes. Find a place that has a lake and activities to do on the lake such as paddle boats.
- Check out Instagram for inspiration. Instagram is great because it just has photos, so if you search by hashtag, you can look at photos of the area you are wanting to explore. #northerncalifornia
- Set a goal at the beginning of the year to get away one weekend each month or to even venture out on just a day road trip each month. This will break up the monotony of day to day life and it will give you something to look forward to planning each month.
If you have dogs….no fear….my contributor Melissa wrote a great article on traveling with your dogs that you will enjoy!
Where will your next adventure be? Share a great place you discovered in your own backyard.
cenario, it’s Saturday and you’re bored. You don’t want to spend a boat load of money and you don’t want to wander too far from where you live. Well, I found myself in this situation yesterday, so my husband and I decided to just get in the car and take a drive. We didn’t want to spend a lot of money nor did we want to drive too far.